Skirt files: The Straight Skirt

Wednesday, April 22, 2015


Hello everyone! Long time no see! So spring is officially here! Temperatures are rising and spring clothes are coming to full rotation. As I mentioned in my previous post, I started taking pattern drafting lessons recently. When you start learning how to draft your own pattern based on your own measurements the first garment you learn is a skirt. It's the easiest pattern and requires only three measurement, your waist, your hips and your desired length. So first of all you learn how to make a straight skirt and then you are able to modified it to almost any skirt you could imagine. 

This is my first straight skirt based on my own measurements. Sewing patterns from companies of course are awesome and all that jazz, but there's just this thing when you make something out of your own measurements and fits like a glove that makes you feel satisfied in a whole new level. This is just a basic skirt with two front and two back darts and a waist facing. I hand stitched the hem with a blind stitch and serged all the inside seams. 


The fabric is a lovely cotton with 3% elastane that I won from House of Pinheiro on her 3 year blog anniversary last May. I fell in love as soon as I saw this fabric and I waited patiently until I found the right project for it. I'm very happy with how this skirt turned out and I've already worn it numerous times. Here I paired it with my Mandy Boat Tee(free pattern!)from Tessuti.


So how about you? Do you like drafting your own patterns? Did you ever had pattern drafting lessons or are you a self-taught pattern drafter? 


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Super cute!!! I hate drafting patterns (too fiddly for me), but I did study it for a semester and it's useful to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looove that fabric! Perfect for a mini skirt. Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely self- taught. I have a friend taking a pattern drafting class now, and it is fun comparing techniques. I've learned a lot from her! And I love your fabric- it's like galaxy print and flowers combined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Those bright colours are the best! Hey, I just made a longer pencil skirt today too!

    My sewing experience has been self-taught for 10 years... then I moved to Shanghai and started at a very sweet Sewing School, just a very casual class. My goal eventually will be to do pattern drafting by the end of the step by step classes... there's a little pattern technique... but mostly sewing technique this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. idaaidasewing.wordpress.comApril 26, 2015 at 4:01 PM

    Πανέμορφο υφασμα, τέλειο για μια απλη ίσια φουστα .Εγω έκανα ενα μάθημα πατρόν απο το Craftsy,έχω ράψει αρκετές φούστες έκτοτε και έχεις δίκιο, ειναι πολυ ικανοποιητικό οταν φτιάχνεις ενα ρούχο απο το μηδέν στα μέτρα σου.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it. My type of skirt. <3

    ReplyDelete